- - 2014年1月17日在湖北省第十二届
Report On Government Work
- Wang Guosheng, Governor of Hubei Province
Delivered at the Second Session of the Twelfth Hubei Provincial People’s Congress on January 17, 2014
On behalf of the Hubei Provincial People’s Government, I now present the report on the work of the government for your deliberation and approval and for comments and suggestions from the members of the Hubei Provincial Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC).
I. Review of Work in 2013
This was the first year for Hubei Province to comprehensively implement the guiding principles of the Eighteenth CPC National Congress and the Tenth Congress of the CPC Hubei Provincial Committee, the first year for promoting the Construction of “Five characteristics of Hubei” (i.e. a prosperous, innovative and culturally-advanced province where government is based on the rule of law and people live comfortably.), as well as the start of work by the new provincial administration. Faced with the extremely complicated situation, severe drought and other natural disasters, we adhered to the principle of “making progress while ensuring stability” under the firm leadership of the CPC Central Committee and the Provincial Party Committee. We followed the work requirements of “seizing new opportunities for development with an active attitude to create a new situation of development higher and faster, and more efficiently, than the national average” thus doing our work well in all aspects, and making progress while ensuring stability in our economic and social development.
回顾2013年的工作，我省经济在巨大的下行压力下艰难起步，总体呈现“一季度大幅下滑，二季度站稳脚跟，三季度开始回升，四季度总体向好”的发展态势。这一年的突出特点是困难比预想的多，这一年的可喜成绩是结果比预料的好。我们基本完成了年初的预期目标。预计全年生产总值2.4万亿元以上，增长10 percent；固定资产投资突破2万亿元，增长25.8 percent；工业增加值和社会消费品零售总额均突破1万亿元，分别增长11.8 percent、13.8 percent；地方公共财政预算收入突破2000亿元，增长 20.1 percent；外贸出口228.4亿美元，增长17.7 percent。难能可贵的是，经济增长质量和效益明显提升。民间投资、制造业投资、高新技术产业投资分别增长32.4 percent、26.7 percent和30.7 percent；高新技术产业增加值预计超过3600亿元，增长16 percent左右，占全省生产总值比重为14.9 percent左右；服务业增加值预计达到9000亿元左右，增长9.6 percent左右，占生产总值比重达到37.5 percent左右。国税地税收入首破3000亿元大关；企业实现利润、税金分别增长22 percent和17.1 percent。
In 2013, despite initial difficulties that saw the economy decline in the first quarter with flat growth in the second, we were able to receive an upward trend in the third quarter and turnaround in the fourth. Thus, amid great difficulties the results were better than expected. We basically completed the economic targets set at the beginning of the year. It is estimated that the total output value surpassed 2.4 trillion yuan, an increase of 10 percent over the previous year; fixed assets investment surpassed two trillion yuan, up 25.8 percent; both the industrial added value and the total retail sales of consumer goods exceeded one trillion yuan, up 11.8 percent and 13.8 percent, respectively; the budget revenue in local public finance was over 200 billion yuan, an increase of 20.1 percent; and the gross foreign export value reached US$22.84 billion, up 7.7 percent. What is commendable is the achievement of both quality and efficiency in the economic growth. The amount of investment by private sectors or individuals, in manufacturing, and in new- and high-tech industries increased by 32.4 percent, 26.7 percent and 30.7 percent, respectively; the added value of new- and high-tech industries surpassed 360 billion yuan, up 16 percent and occupying 14.9 percent of total output value in the province. The added value of the service industry reached 900 billion yuan, an increase of 9.6 percent and contributing 37.5 percent of total output value; national and local tax incomes exceeded 300 billion yuan for the first time; profits and taxes of enterprises increased by 22 percent and 17.1 percent, respectively.
- - - 稳增长，经济保持持续健康发展。加强对形势的研判，积极落实国家宏观调控政策，着力稳定市场和社会预期，坚持应急与谋远紧密结合，稳增长与调结构相互促进，努力把握经济工作的主动权。充分发挥投资的拉动作用，突出抓好项目建设，武汉80万吨乙烯、联想武汉基地等一批重大产业项目陆续投产并形成新的经济增长点；武汉地铁4号线一期、武咸城际铁路、十白高速公路、神农架机场等一批交通项目先后建成；汉口北国际商品交易中心、宜昌三峡物流园等一批重大服务业项目加快建设；长江航道荆江段整治、荆南四河堤防加固等一批重点工程有序推进。南水北调中线工程顺利通过国家蓄水标准验收。大众消费活力进一步增强，网络销售等新模式迅速兴起。强化要素保障，全力支持实体经济发展。新增贷款超过3000亿元，居中部首位。直接融�使婺３�000亿元。物价总水平保持稳定，居民消费价格指数上涨2.8 percent。
- Ensuring steady growth and maintaining sound and sustainable economic development. In 2013, we undertook further research and analysis, actively carried out the national policy of macro-economic control, stepped up efforts to stabilize market and social expectations, combined emergency management with careful preparation, facilitated the mutual promotion between steady growth and restructuring, and endeavored to always grasp the initiative in economic work. We gave full play to the role of investment in driving the economy and laid special stress on project implementation. A number of major industrial projects went into operation to form new economic growth points; such transport projects as the first phase of Wuhan Subway Line 4, Wuhan-Xianning Intercity Railway, Shiyan-Baihe Expressway, and Shennongjia Airport were completed; the construction of a number of major service projects, including the Hankou North International Commodity Trading Center and the Yichang Three Gorges Logistics Park was accelerated; some major projects such as waterway regulation of the Jingjiang Section of the Yangtze River and dam reinforcement of the four rivers in southern Jingzhou City (i.e. the Songzi, Hudu, Ouchi and Tiaoxian) were conducted in an orderly way. The Central Line Project of the South-to-North Water Diversion was confirmed as being up to the national water storage standard. Mass consumption showed a powerful rise, and new modes, such as online shopping, grew rapidly. More attention was paid to production factors, and full support was given to the development of the real economy. The amount of new bank loans surpassed 300 billion yuan, ranking first in central China (Henan, Hubei and Hunan provinces). The scale of direct financing was over 100 billion yuan, the general price level was stable, and the CPI rose by 2.8 percent.
- - - 强基础，“三农”工作再创佳绩。坚持把“三农”工作放在重中之重，全面落实各项强农惠农富农政策。全力抗击严重干旱等自然灾害，粮食生产实现“十连增”， 总产达到500.3亿斤，创历史第二新高。油菜籽和淡水产品产量连续18年居全国第一位。农产品质量安全抽查合格率比上年提高0.5个百分点，连续3年居全国前列。农业产业化发展加快，全省规模以上农产品加工企业达到4315家，农产品加工主营业务收入突破万亿元。农作物综合机械化水平达到61 percent，比上年提高1.5个百分点。新型农业经营体系建设稳步推进，专业大户、家庭农场、农民合作社等新型经营主体增多。新农村建设扎实推进，八个层面的试点示范覆盖全省56 percent的乡镇。广泛开展“万名干部进万村洁万家”活动，在农村新建垃圾池（房、站、场）50多万个。我省统筹城乡垃圾处理工作被列为全国试点。新建成一批农村公路、安全饮水、危房改造、清洁能源入户项目。
- Strengthening the foundation and reaching new heights in agriculture and farmers livelihood. Issues concerning agriculture, rural areas and farmers’ livelihood were given top priority. We comprehensively implemented various policies to support, benefit and enrich farmers. We also spared no efforts to combat the severe drought and other natural disasters, thanks to which, grain production in the province realized a “ten-year consecutive increase”, and the total output reached 50.03 billion jin (25.015 billion kilograms), a figure second only to the historic high. The output of rapeseed and freshwater products ranked first in the country for the 18th consecutive year. The acceptance rate of agricultural products in random quality and safety inspections increased by 0.5 percent over the previous year, ranking in the top echelon of provinces for three consecutive years. Agricultural industrialization was accelerated, the number of agricultural products processing enterprises above designated size amounted to 4,315, and the main business income surpassed one trillion yuan. The comprehensive mechanization level of agricultural products reached 61 percent, 1.5 percent higher than previous. We also steadily promoted the building of a new system of agricultural operations involving both professional investors or households specializing in animal husbandry on a large scale, family farms, and rural cooperatives. With solid progress made in the building of a new countryside, pilot and demonstration sites at eight different levels covered 56 percent of our towns and townships. The extensive launch of the activity of “sending officials to villages and farmers’ houses to keep the environment clean” resulted in the establishment of more than 500,000 new garbage dumps (chambers, stations and dumping grounds) in rural areas. Our work of coordinating urban and rural garbage processing became a national pilot. Besides, a number of new projects were launched for building rural roads, ensuring access to safe drinking water, renovation of dilapidated houses and access to clean energy, etc.
- - - 调结构，发展方式加快转变。充分利用市场倒逼机制，加快经济结构调整步伐。研究出台传统工业改造、高新技术产业和战略性新兴产业培育、现代服务业发展、外贸和电子商务发展、科技成果转化、建筑业转型升级等10多项重大政策措施，有效地推动了结构优化升级。汽车、装备制造、食品等支柱产业在转型中进一步发展；水泥等六大高耗能行业所占比重继续下降；现代物流、电子商务、信息服务、文化旅游、金融等现代服务业呈良好发展态势。全年接待旅游者4.09亿人次，增长18.5 percent。预计全省金融业增加值超过1000亿元，增长20 percent。创新强省战略深入实施。国家级高新区增加到5个；获国家认定的高新技术企业突破2200家，比上年增加700家；全省技术合同成交额418.74亿元，增长78.5 percent。区域发展协调性进一步增强。丰富和完善一元多层次战略体系，深入谋划推进“两圈两带”、“一主两副”建设。生产总值超千亿元城市增加到9个。县域经济活力增强、实力提升。鄂州综合改革示范、荆州“壮腰工程”、荆门“中国农谷”等建设加速推进。“一红一绿”试验区建设、恩施龙凤镇综合改革、钟祥市柴湖镇振兴发展等试点示范、黄梅小池等一批重点镇特色镇建设加快实施。颁布全省主体功能区规划，增强对区域布局、生态保护的导向作用。我省被国家列为生态省建设试点。神农架成功申报世界地质公园。全省湖泊保护总体规划加紧编制。国家下达的节能减排和淘汰落后产能任务全面完成。
- Adjusting the economic structure and changing the growth model. We took advantage of market forces to facilitate economic restructuring, and worked out and introduced more than 10 major policy measures relating to the transformation of traditional industries, the cultivation of new- and high-tech industries and strategic emerging industries, development of a modern service industry, the growth of foreign trade and e-commerce, commercialization of research findings, and transformation and upgrading of the construction industry. This effectively promoted structural adjustment and optimization. Pillar industries such as automobile, equipment manufacturing and food were further transformed; the proportions of the six high energy-consuming industries, including cement, continued to drop; and there was a good development momentum in the service sector, ranging from modern logistics, e-commerce, information service, cultural tourism to finance. The number of tourist arrivals in 2013 reached 409 million, an increase of 18.5 percent over the previous year. It is estimated that the added value of the financial sector surpassed 100 billion yuan, up 20 percent from 2012. We further implemented the strategy of strengthening the province with innovation. The number of national high-tech zones increased to five; the number of new- and high-tech enterprises receiving national certification exceeded 2,200, 700 more than the previous year; and the volume of business of technology contracts reached 41.874 billion yuan, an increase of 78.5 percent. Regional development became more balanced. We enriched and improved the “unitary multi-level” strategic system, and developed a detailed plan to promote the strategies of “Two Areas and Two Belts” and “One Provincial Center and Two Sub-Provincial Centers” (Wuhan as the provincial center and Yichang and Xiangyang as the two sub-provincial centers). The total output value of nine cities surpassed 100 billion yuan. The county economy saw an upswing. The comprehensive reform demonstration in Ezhou, the Waist-Building Project of Jingzhou, and the project of building Jingmen into China’s “agricultural valley” accelerated. The building of a number of key towns and towns with distinctive features also speeded up, which include the “Red and Green Pilot Zones”, the comprehensive reform of Longfeng Town of Enshi Prefecture, the pilot and demonstration project of vitalizing Chaihu Town of Zhongxiang City, and Xiaochi Town of Huangmei County. We issued the main functional area plan to strengthen our guiding role in regional distribution and ecological protection, and Hubei was listed among pilots of ecological province building. Shennongjia successfully applied for global geopark recognition, the compilation of the provincial lake protection planning speeded up, and the province fulfilled the task of energy conservation, emission reduction and closing down outdated production facilities assigned by the State.
- - - 促改革，发展动力和活力进一步增强。加快转变政府职能，大力推进行政管理体制改革，着力为各类市场主体创造公平竞争环境。省级保留的行政审批事项缩减至286项，比上年减少120项。在全国率先向社会公开省级行政权力目录清单。改革工商注册登记制度，推进政府向社会购买服务，激发全社会投资创业热情。全省各类市场主体增长31.3 percent，其中新登记各类市场主体109万户，增长73.5 percent。规模以上工业企业新增2149家。探索推进财政专项资金竞争性分配改革，纳入改革范围的专项资金达60.6亿元。“营改增”试点改革稳步推进。加快培育金融市场主体，创新武汉区域金融中心建设体制机制，推进多层次资本市场建设发展。武汉城市圈“两型”社会综合配套改革、武汉东湖国家自主创新示范区建设迈出新步伐。东湖高新区综合排名跃入全国三甲，其中知识创新能力和技术创新能力居第二位。继续深化医药卫生体制改革，基层医疗卫生机构运行新机制不断健全，县级公立医院综合改革试点稳步推进。加快要素配置市场化改革，将土地使用权、矿业权出让纳入公共资源交易平台。以开放促改革、促发展。深化同发达国家和地区的经贸交流合作，积极承接产业转移，提升招商引资质量和水平。全省实际利用外资68.9亿美元，增长21.6 percent;引进省外资金6157亿元，增长22.2 percent。全省新增台资企业104家。来鄂投资的境外全球500强企业达到150家。武汉东湖综合保税区封关运行。中法合作共建可持续生态新城项目落户湖北。深化长江中游城市群合作，基础设施、产业、城镇建设、市场、生态环保、科技、教育、旅游文化等领域合作初见成效。积极推进南水北调水源区与京津冀等受水区对口协作。三峡后续工作规划加快实施，对口支援取得新成效。
- Deepening reform and enhancing development vitality. We speeded up the transformation of government functions, pressed forward with reform of the administrative system, and focused on building of a level playing field for all market players. The number of items requiring review and approval by government bodies at provincial level was streamlined to 286, a decrease of 120 over the previous year. The province was also among the first to make public its government power list. We also reformed the system of industrial and commercial registration, promoted government purchase of services from the society and stimulated the enthusiasm of all social sectors for investment and starting businesses. The overall number of market players increased by 31.3 percent, among which new registrations reached 1.09 million, up 73.5 percent over the previous year. The number of industrial enterprises above designated size increased by 2,149. The government promoted the reform of the competitive allocation of special financial funds amounting to 6.06 billion yuan. Reform was steadily accelerated on the pilot project to replace business tax with VAT. We expedited the cultivation of financial market participants, innovated the mechanism and system of building a Wuhan regional financial center, and promoted the establishment and development of a multi-level capital market. Progress was made in comprehensive supporting reforms for the building of a resources-conserving and environment-friendly society of the Greater Wuhan Metropolitan Area and in the building of the Wuhan East Lake National Independent Innovative Demonstration Zone. The East Lake High-Tech Development Zone finished in the top three nationally in terms of comprehensive ranking and ranked second in knowledge and technology innovation abilities. We continued to deepen reform of the medical and health care systems, constantly improved the new operating mechanisms of community-level medical and health care institutions, and steadily promoted the trial reform of county-level public hospitals. We speeded up market-based reforms of factor allocations, and brought the transfer of land-use and mining rights within the sphere of public resource transactions. Moreover, reform and development was promoted through opening up. We enhanced economic and trade exchanges and cooperation with developed countries and regions, actively undertook the transfer of industries from coastal to inland areas, and raised the quality and level of investment introduction. We utilized US$6.89 billion of foreign investment, and introduced 615.7 billion yuan of investment from other provinces, up 21.6 percent and 22.2 percent over the previous year, respectively. The number of Taiwan-funded enterprises increased by 104, and a total of 150 “Fortune 500” companies had investments in Hubei. The Wuhan East Lake Comprehensive Bonded Area went into operation. A sustainable bio-city project jointly initiated by China and France opened in Hubei. Preliminary results were achieved in the urban agglomeration project at the middle reaches of the Yangtze River, and cooperation in such fields as infrastructure, industry, urban construction, market, eco-environmental protection, science and technology, education, tourism and culture. We actively promoted coordination between the water source and benefiting regions of the South-to-North Water Diversion Project, accelerated implementation of the follow-up work of the Three Gorges Project, and recorded new accomplishments in counterpart assistance of the project.
- - - 惠民生，人民生活进一步改善。坚持民生优先，兜民生底线，建保障机制，促社会公平。财政用于民生的支出增长15.3 percent，占财政支出比重为75.4 percent。各项社会事业全面发展。学前教育“三年行动计划”如期完成。29个县（市、区）通过国家义务教育均衡发展评估认定。实施农村薄弱学校改造工程、教师周转房建设等10多个教育事业专项，新招聘7500名大学生到农村任教，选派866名教师到29个贫困地区乡镇学校对口支教。职业教育校企合作稳步推进，高等教育协同创新能力进一步增强。文化事业繁荣发展，公共文化服务体系建设加强，在第十届中国艺术节上，我省获奖剧目和群众文艺作品居全国前列。成功举办首届中国武汉期刊交易博览会。医疗卫生服务体系建设继续加强，公共卫生保障能力得到提升。血吸虫防治有力推进，19个疫区县（市）�ü已娲タ刂票曜佳槭铡�a name="OLE_LINK146">计划生育利益导向政策不断完善，低生育水平保持稳定，出生人口性别比继续降低。城镇新增就业80.7万人，农村转移劳动力总量达到1100万人。预计农民人均纯收入达到8860元，增长12.9 percent；城镇居民人均可支配收入达到22900元，增长9.9 percent，农民收入增幅连续4年高于城镇居民收入增幅。社会保障体系进一步完善，保障水平继续提升。五项社会保险参保人数达到4713.2万人次。累计发放各类社会保险待遇1012亿元，企业退休人员月人均养老金提高到1820元。社会救助不断加强，困难群众基本生活费得到有效保障。新农合参合率达到99.2 percent，住院费用补偿比例达到75 percent以上。实现了城乡居民大病医疗保险、新农合大病保障和医疗救助全覆盖。以居家为基础、社区为依托、机构为支撑的社会化养老服务体系建设全面推进。保障性住房和棚户区改造任务按时完成。270万城乡低保、300万受灾群众和27万农村五保、城市“三无”对象生活得到较好安置。省政府年初承诺的以解决民生为重点的10件实事办理完毕。加强和创新社会管理，加快构建适应新形势要求的社会管理格局。“六五”普法深入推进。公共安全体系不断完善，食品药品监管和安全生产监管力度进一步加大。食品药品安全形势总体平稳，没有发生重大食品药品安全事故。
- Benefiting the people and further improving their livelihood. We gave priority to people’s wellbeing, taking improvement as our bottom line, established security mechanisms and promoted social justice and fairness. The amount of public spending used for improving people’s livelihood increased by 15.3 percent, accounting for 75.4 percent of the total. Progress was made in all social programs. The “three-year action plan” for preschool education was fulfilled on schedule. Twenty-nine counties (cities, districts) passed the assessment of balanced development of compulsory education. We carried out more than 10 special education projects, including renovation of backward rural schools, the recruitment of 7,500 college graduates as rural teachers, and the selection and appointment of 866 teachers for 29 village and township schools to support education. We steadily boosted cooperation between schools and enterprises in vocational education, and further strengthened the collaborative and innovative capabilities of the higher education sector. Culture prospered, and the public culture service system grew stronger. At the 10th China Art Festival, Hubei led all provinces in the number of award-winning dramas and people’s literary and artistic works. We successfully held the First China Wuhan Periodicals Fair, enhanced the building of medical and health care systems, and improved public health care capabilities. We also greatly promoted schistosomiasis control, and 19 epidemic counties (cities) passed the acceptance check of national schistosomiansis transmission control. The interest-oriented family planning policy was constantly improved, with a low birthrate maintained and the sex ratio at birth continuing to drop. As many as 807,000 new jobs were created, and the total number of rural workers reached 11 million. It is estimated that the rural per capita net income was 8,860 yuan, and the urban per capita disposable income was 22,900 yuan, up by 12.9 percent and 9.9 percent, respectively. The income growth of farmers was higher than that of urban residents for the fourth straight year. The social security system further improved with upgrades in the security level. A total of 47.132 million people participated in the five major social insurances. A cumulative total of 101.2 billion yuan of social insurance benefits in various forms was paid out, and the monthly per capita pension for retirees was raised to 1,820 yuan. We constantly strengthened social relief, and effectively guaranteed subsistence allowances for the poverty-stricken population. About 99.2 percent of farmers were brought under the New Rural Cooperative Medical Scheme (NRCMS), and the hospitalization reimbursement rate exceeded 75 percent. All urban and rural residents were covered by medical insurance for major diseases, NRCMS policy on the benefits for major diseases and medical assistance. We continued all-round promotion of the social old-age service system with family caring as its basis and complemented by community caring and supported by institutional care. We completed the renovation of affordable housing and shanty houses on schedule. We managed to properly place 2.7 million urban and rural households enjoying subsistence allowances, three million people affected by natural disasters and 270,000 rural households enjoying the five guarantees (food, clothing, medical care, housing and burial expenses) and “sanwu” people (people without identification papers, a normal residence permit and a source of income). The government completed the “10 practical things relating to people’s wellbeing” as promised at the beginning of the year. We strengthened and developed social management to accelerate the formation of a social management pattern adapted to the requirements of the new situation. We further advanced the Sixth Five-Year Legal Popularization, improved the public security system, and strengthened supervision over food, drug and production safety. The situation of food and drug safety was stable without any major incidents.
- - - 转作风，政府自身建设不断加强。认真贯彻执行中央八项规定和省委六条意见。扎实开展“三抓一促”活动，推行“三短一简一俭”，行政效能明显提高。深入开展党的群众路线教育实践活动，坚决纠正“四风”，着力解决事关群众切身利益的突出问题，下大力改进政府机关工作作风。大力推进依法行政，实行权力清单制度，严格规范权力行使，强化行政监管和审计监督，健全对权力运行的制约和监督机制。严格落实国务院向社会承诺的“约法三章”，对政府性楼堂馆所、机构编制进行清理和规范，“三公”经费明显下降。自觉接受人大及其常委会法律监督、工作监督和政协民主监督，办理省人大代表建议645件、省政协提案801件。建立有效制度，进一步密切与工会、共青团、妇联等人民团体的联系。
- Improving work style and continuously enhancing the capacity building of the provincial government. We carefully implemented the eight-point anti-bureaucracy guidelines [note: a document focusing on rejecting extravagance and reducing bureaucratic visits, meetings and empty talk] and the six-point opinion promulgated by the CPC Central Committee and the Hubei Provincial Party Committee, respectively. We carried out activities of “Three Focuses and One Promotion”, and advocated “Three Shortened, One Simplified and One Economized”, thus effectively improving administrative efficiency. We implemented extensively the Party’s “mass line” education campaign [note: a guideline under which CPC officials and members are required to strengthen ties with the public and work for the people’s interests], fought the “Four Erroneous Tendencies”, endeavored to solve outstanding problems related to the people’s vital interests, and spared no efforts to improve the work style of government organs and public institutions. We forcefully promoted administration according to law, adopted the power list system, strictly standardized exercise of power, strengthened administrative and audit supervision, and reinforced restriction and supervision over administrative power. We strictly implemented the “three-point decree” promised by the State Council [note: First, new government buildings will not be built; second, the number of people on the government payroll will decrease; third, receptions, business trips and the use of official vehicles will be cut], we made an inventory of governmental buildings and standardized the authorized size of government bodies, which resulted in a significant reduction of the three typical abuses of public expenses. The government voluntarily accepted legal and work supervision by the provincial people’s congress and its standing committee, and the democratic supervision by the provincial committee of the CPPCC. We dealt with 645 proposals from deputies of the provincial people’s congress and 801 cases brought by the provincial committee of the CPPCC. Moreover, we established an effective system to strengthen ties with the Labor Union, Communist Youth League, Women’s Federation and other people’s organizations.
Additionally, we further intensified the National Defense Mobilization and Reserve Force as well as the double support policy between the military and the people. A new round of counterpart assistance to Xinjiang and Tibet was firmly promoted. New achievements were made in ethnic affairs and issues concerning religion, overseas Chinese, Taiwan, civil air defense, association of science and technology, statistics, the protection of state secrets, archives, mapping, meteorology, seismology, counselors, literature and history, local chronicles, bidding management, charity, administration of government offices, philosophy and social sciences, policy consulting, and so on.
One cannot know how difficult a job is unless he or she has done it personally. It was a hard-won achievement that our province improved the quality of economic and social development while increasing the economic aggregate and constantly improved people’s wellbeing. It was made thanks to the firm leadership and correct decision-making of the CPC and the State Council, the provincial Party committee’s correct judgment of the overall situation, the effective supervision and great support of the provincial people’s congress and the provincial committee of the CPPCC, and the joint efforts of all relevant organizations including the PLA and various offices in Hubei. General Secretary Xi Jinping’s visit to our province greatly inspired the people and promoted reform and development. As a result, the sense of responsibility and urgency of all parts of the province further increased in terms of deepening reform and transformation development. Strong positive energy in development was formed. Here, on behalf of the provincial people’s government, I would like to express my heartfelt thanks and high respect to the general cadres and all ethnic groups, PLA troops in Hubei, armed police force, non-Communist parties, federations of industry and commerce, personages without party affiliation, people’s organizations, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan compatriots and overseas Chinese, foreign friends and all people at home and abroad for their concern for and support of the economic and social development of Hubei!
While affirming the achievements, we are keenly aware we still face many difficulties and problems in our economic and social development. First, the foundations of the economic turnaround are weak, consumer demand lacks growth momentum, and the investment intentions of enterprises are not strong, creating downward pressure on economic growth. Second, there still exist acute systemic and structural contradictions restricting our economic and social development for a long time. The rise of agricultural production costs leads to the decline of comparative effectiveness and more difficulties in increasing both agricultural production and income. The capacity utilization rate in some industries is relatively low, and a considerable number of enterprises have difficulties in production and management. The service industry, especially the modernized sector, is underdeveloped. In addition, we cannot ignore the risk brought about by fast growing local debt. Third, there is still things to be desired in fields related to the people’s vital interests, such as income distribution, education and employment, social security, food and drug safety, medical and health care, ecological environment, and so on. Fourth, a small number of officials have not sufficiently emancipated their minds, developed a down-to-earth work style, effectively implemented policies, or contributed much to reform and innovation. We must attach great importance to the these aspects, make in-depth analysis, find the root cause, stress the key point, take comprehensive measures, strengthen reform, innovation and institutional building, and solve problems with greater determination and more effective measures.
II．Major Arrangement for Government Work in 2014
This is the first year for fully carrying out the guiding principles of the Third Plenary Session of the Party’s 18th National Congress, and a crucial year for Hubei to “create a strategic stand for the rise of central China and take the lead in transforming the pattern of economic development”. Both the international and domestic situations provide many good opportunities as well as new challenges. The basic trend of economic turnaround of our province has not changed, but the external environment for our development has become more complicated; Hubei’s economic growth is still above the national average, but the criteria and connotations of development have been upgraded; the general situation of “five great opportunities for Hubei’s development” remains unchanged, but regional competition has become fiercer. The GDP growth rate is not the simple criterion for judging a province’s development. Our pressure of development has become bigger rather than smaller, our task is heavier rather than lighter, and we are required to make more efforts rather than less. We must improve the quality and competitiveness of our economy while increasing the economic aggregate. We will not become a strategic entity if our economy is not based on strong foundations, nor can we take the lead if the quality and competitiveness of our economy are not improved. Facing both changed and unchanged aspects, the arduous task of reform, innovation and transformation development, and the uncertainties in our way, we must always keep a cool head, stick to the greatest historic opportunity of comprehensively deepening reform, maintain bottom-line thinking, and enhance our initiative, opportunity awareness and sense of responsibility, so as to overcome difficulties in reform and transformation more effectively and make Hubei’s economy stronger, with a better structure, higher quality and bigger potential.
The guiding ideology for government work in 2014 is as follows: We will earnestly implement the guiding principles of the 18th CPC National Congress and its Second and Third Plenary Sessions, the Central Economic Work Conference, and the Third and Fourth Plenary Sessions of the 10th Congress of the CPC Hubei Provincial Committee, adhere to “making progress while ensuring stability” in our work, insist on the general work requirements of “improving both quality and efficiency”, firmly establish the concept of “the market determining the survival of enterprises, green (i.e. ecological environment) determinants for life or death, and people’s livelihood determining the objective”; we will carry out reform and innovation in every field and every link in economic and social development, focus on stimulation of market vitality, speed up the transformation of the economic growth pattern and economic restructuring, strengthen the building of the basic public service system, and concentrate our efforts on the improvement of people’s livelihood, so as to promote sustainable and sound economic development and social harmony and stability, and lay a solid foundation for “creating a strategic stand for the rise of central China and taking the lead in transforming the pattern of economic development”.
2014年全省经济社会发展的主要预期目标是：生产总值增长10 percent;规模以上工业增加值增长12 percent左右；固定资产投资增长20 percent以上；社会消费品零售总额增长14 percent左右；地方公共财政预算收入增长10 percent以上；外贸出口增长10 percent；城镇居民家庭人均可支配收入增长10 percent；农村居民家庭人均纯收入增长10 percent以上；居民消费价格涨幅控制在4 percent以内；城镇新增就业70万人，城镇登记失业率控制在4.6 percent以内；人口自然增长率控制在6.5‰以内；全面完成国家下达的节能减排任务
We have the following expected growth targets for Hubei’s economic and social development this year: regional GDP up 10 percent, value added of industries above the designated scale up 12 percent, social fixed asset investment up 20 percent, retail sales of social consumer goods up 14 percent, local public financial budget revenue up 10 percent, total exports up 10 percent, urban per capita disposable income up 10 percent, per capita net income of farmers up 10 percent, rise of consumer prices kept within 4 percent, urban registered unemployment within 4.6 percent with 700,000 new jobs created in urban areas, natural growth rate of population held within 6.5 percent, and, finally, accomplishment of energy conservation and emissions reduction targets set by the central government.
According to these general requirements and expected growth targets, we will take reform and innovation as the general guideline in making overall planning, attach more importance to the integration of reform, readjustment and measures for development, endeavor to carry out real and practical reforms and transformation, to focus on the following eight aspects:
1. Strengthening market players, establishing market mechanisms and stimulating development vitality.
Speeding up the cultivation of market players with more vitality under diverse forms of ownership. We will actively develop a mixed ownership economy featuring cross-shareholding and integration among State-owned, collective and non-public capital, forcefully promote local ownership reforms of State-owned enterprises, realize the diversification of property rights, and increase the openness of state-owned capital. We will innovate management of the government’s guarantee and financing platforms, and enhance the capital operation, industry cultivation and risk control capabilities of the latter. We will further strengthen risk prevention and control of government debt and regulate borrowing. We will improve the property rights protection system and guarantee all sectors of the economy can equally utilize production factors according to law, participate in market competition openly and fairly, and enjoy equal legal protection. We will adhere to equal rights, opportunities, and rules and regulations, abolish all unreasonable rules against non-public sectors, and completely eliminate additional conditions and invisible barriers of all forms. We will fully release the energy of non-government investment and open all fields to non-public capital except for those explicitly banned by rules and regulations. We will support the entry of non-public enterprises into such industries as finance, telecommunications and transport and their equal participation in infrastructure building, people’s livelihood and other fields. We will support the participation of non-public enterprises in the reform of State-owned enterprises, develop mixed-ownership enterprises controlled by non-public capital, and support the establishment of a modern corporate system by qualified non-public enterprises. We will thoroughly carry out the “market entities incremental plan”, speed up the development of small and medium-sized enterprises, cultivation of entrepreneurs and innovators, and encourage people of Hubei origin to return home and start businesses. We will implement a structural tax cut policy, provide more support and services to small and medium-sized enterprises, especially to small and micro businesses, and further stimulate all social sectors’ pioneering work.
Accelerating the building of a modern market system playing a decisive role in resource allocation. We will foster capital, human resources, intellectual property and professional commodity markets based in Hubei, serving central China and radiating influence across the country. We will forcefully promote Wuhan’s financial reform and innovation and build the city into a regional financial center as soon as possible. We will build bigger and stronger local corporate financial institutions and support the establishment of banks with private capital in accordance with law. We will improve the multi-level capital market system, promote small and medium-sized enterprises to go public, and develop standard bond markets, regional equity markets, property rights markets and capital factor markets in various forms. We will enhance cooperation with financial institutions and solicit credit support. We will direct credit to major projects under construction, projects to be continued and major industries. We will facilitate the building of the two major mining right markets in eastern and western Hubei and include the transfer of mining right into transactions on the public resources trading market. We will actively cultivate insurance markets, deepen reform of the fiscal and taxation system, continue to do a good job in the integration and arrangement of fiscal funds, and replace business tax with VAT. We will explore ways to establish uniform construction land markets in both urban and rural areas and gradually include collective profit-oriented construction land into the present trading platform of State-owned land for unified management. We will also set up an index trading system to balance the increase and decrease of land resources for urban and rural construction and the land price system for the transfer of collective profit-oriented construction land.
Promoting reform pilot and demonstration projects at all levels. We will make progress in comprehensive supporting reforms for building a resources-conserving and environment-friendly society of the Greater Wuhan Metropolitan Area and in the building of Wuhan East Lake National Independent Innovative Demonstration Zone, and fulfill the mission of the reform pilot assigned by the State more actively so as to form reform experience benefiting other parts of the province. Focusing on reform pilot and demonstration sites at the national and provincial levels, we will actively and steadily advance reform pilot and demonstration projects at all levels. We will give full play to Hubei’s role as ministerial- and provincial-level cooperation platform and speed up reform and innovation in major fields and key links.
Stepping up efforts to establish a new system of open economy. We will innovate the system of utilized foreign investment and expand its scale. We will explore management models of pre-establishment national treatment and negative list to provide a stable, transparent and predictable business environment for enterprises. We will relax control over market access for foreign investment, fully open up our general manufacturing industry, and lift restrictions on market access in such service industries as commercial logistics, R&D and design, e-commerce, accounting and auditing, child rearing and elderly care. We will find innovative ways to invite investment, actively promote market-oriented investment introduction models such as investment introduction through industrial chains, park investment invitation, actively undertake the transfer of international capital and industries from coastal to inland areas, invite regional headquarters and functional agencies of renowned enterprises both at home and abroad and endeavor to establish agglomerated zones of advanced manufacturing and modern services as soon as possible. We will transform the development pattern of foreign trade and raise the proportion of the export-oriented economy. We will enhance the building of our key export bases and enterprises and international brands, facilitate the cultivation of industries with advantages in export such as automobile, electromechanical engineering, ship building, garments, agricultural products, new and high technology, increase the transfer of traditional advantage industries to other countries, and enlarge the market share of Hubei products in the international market. We will make breakthroughs in service trade and raise the proportion of this trade to the total trade volume. We will build a platform for internal and external opening up and promote opening up and cooperation in an all-around way. We will speed up the building of external opening-up channels and improve the “grand customs” service system to raise efficiency in our ports. We will support the building of the Wuhan-Xiaogan Air-transportation Related Economic Zone, encourage more ports to open to the outside world, and support the opening of more air routes and direct international flights. We will integrate, optimize and build stronger special customs surveillance zones, and actively advance the application and building of the Wuhan Inland Free Trade Pilot Zone. Seizing the strategic opportunity while the central government is building the Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st century Maritime Silk Road, we will step up efforts to build the “grand channel” and bridge towers for foreign economic cooperation. We will vigorously promote the opening up and development of the Yangtze River Economic Belt in Hubei and the building of the urban agglomeration project at the middle reaches of the Yangtze River, and actively promote cooperation between the urban agglomeration project and the Volga Federal District of Russia. We will implement the “going global” policy, increase the international competitiveness of our industries, and encourage enterprises and individuals to make overseas investment, undertake foreign contracted projects and export labor service in groups. We will also make careful arrangements for the Ninth Expo Central China.
There is no time limit for reform and opening up. We must bring the benefits to the people as soon as possible, create a better market environment for equal and fair competition among all market players, and stimulate entrepreneurship and creativity, so as to give full play to all sources of social wealth!
2. Stabilizing agricultural production, guaranteeing the increase of farmers’ income, and making Hubei an advanced province in agriculture through reform and innovation.
Stabilizing and developing agricultural production. We will further raise the “primacy ratio” of issues concerning agriculture, farmers’ livelihood and development of rural areas and fully implement and improve various policies. We will promote the building of grain production core areas, improve the comprehensive grain production capability and make contributions to guaranteeing national food security. We will make breakthroughs in the seed industry and speed up construction of crop seed bases. We will break new ground in developing diversified economy and foster modern animal husbandry, gardening, forestry and aquaculture with special characteristics. We will take the quality and safety of agricultural products as the key link of transforming the development pattern and accelerating modern agriculture development, and guarantee food safety with the most rigorous standards, the strictest supervision, the severest punishment and the most serious accountability.
Accelerating the progress of agricultural industrialization. We will vigorously promote agricultural science and technology innovation, and improve the service system of agricultural technology extension and the socialized service system of agriculture. We will further raise the industrial level of agriculture and modernize through factory planting, intelligent agriculture and circular agriculture. We will make breakthroughs in the agricultural service industry and further scale up the industries of rural tourism and recreational agriculture. Focused on “building big parks, keeping the leading position and establishing famous brands”, we will implement the “Four Batches” Project in agricultural processing industries, accelerate the development of agricultural whole industrial chain, and foster a batch of large-scale corporate groups of processing and circulation. We will enhance systems of high-standard farmland, irrigation and water conservancy, agricultural informationization and disaster prevention and alleviation, and improve the material and technological equipment of agriculture.
Expediting the building of a new type of agricultural operation system. We will maintain the foundational status of family-run operation in agriculture, and promote innovation in agricultural operation modes featuring common development of family-run, collective, cooperative and enterprise operations. We will do a good job in determining, registering and certifying contracted rural land-use rights, and encourage the transfer of operational rights to professional investors, family farms, farmers’ cooperatives and agricultural enterprises on the open market, so as to develop scale operations in various forms. We will boost the cooperative economy, support the development of scale, professional and modern operations, actively guide and urge industry and commerce capital to become involved in modern planting and farming industries adapted to enterprise-oriented operations in rural areas, and introduce modern production factors and operational modes into agriculture. We will select several pilot sites, prudently and steadily promote the mortgage, guarantee and transfer of farmers’ housing property rights, and explore channels for increasing farmers’ property income. We will support large and medium-sized commercial banks in increasing county-level outlets and make sure that rural deposits in financial institutions are mainly used to solve issues related to agriculture and rural areas. We will gradually expand the coverage of insurance for rural areas, and actively promote a rural cooperative financial system that serves farmers and family farms. We will continue to promote pilot projects of the new socialist countryside at the eight different levels by setting examples, such as the Xianhong Pilot Zone. Meanwhile, we will deepen reform on State-owned farms performing social functions.
Farmers are the people we rely on heavily for a living. They are also the largest social group. We must properly handle the issues related to their livelihood with deep affection, endeavor to create opportunities for equal development for farmers, promote urban and rural integration, give priority to rural areas in allocating public resources, and ensure farmers gain equal access to the fruits of the modernization drive.
3. Expanding domestic demand, maintaining steady growth and increasing endogenous dynamics through reform and innovation.
Maintaining reasonable growth of investment. We will deepen reforms of the investment system, give full play to its role in guiding structural adjustment and the role of government capital in driving social investment, broaden channels of investment and financing, and strive to realize total fixed-asset investment of 2.4 trillion yuan or above. Seizing the opportunity when the central government is accelerating infrastructure construction of the central and western regions, we will reinforce project planning and acquisition and try to obtain national support in a batch of new and major infrastructure projects, especially the construction of expressway networks, eliminating transport bottlenecks of major national and provincial lines, urban infrastructure upgrading, and new-generation information infrastructure building; by highlighting projects related to people’s livelihood and aiming to improve people’s living and working conditions, especially the renovation of shanty houses and rural dilapidated houses, affordable housing, urban and rural power grids, and small rural water conservancy facilities; by highlighting industrial projects, especially advanced manufacturing, new- and high-tech industries, emerging industries of strategic importance and modern services; and by attaching more importance to and increasing investment in technological transformation of traditional industries and directing enterprises to expand investment in technological transformation. We will advance a batch of major construction projects, accelerate the renovation and expansion of Xiangyang Airport, Wudangshan Airport and other infrastructure projects, strive for an early start of the projects of Wuhan-Shiyan section of the Wuhan-Xi’an High-Speed Railway and water resources allocation in northern Hubei; endeavor to build 749 kilometers of expressway and make sure that the Wuhan-Ezhou, Wuhan-Huangshi and Wuhan-Huanggang intercity railways are put into operation before the end of the year; ensure the first phase of the Wuhan General Motors project goes into operation within the year, speed up a batch of industrial projects including the Wuhan Renault car project; accelerate the third-phase construction of Tianhe Airport to become operational in 2016. We will improve policies and measures promoting non-government investment, and strive to raise its proportion above 70 percent.
Expanding consumer demand. We will make efforts to foster new consumption growth points, promote tri-networks integration, cultivate and expand such hot points of consumption as information networks, digital homes, intelligent appliances, digital publishing, energy conservation and environmental protection, and cultivate and expand such service consumption as fairs and exhibitions, tourism, community services, elderly care, public health and cultural and creative industries. We will improve and implement credit, fiscal and taxation policies that encourage consumption, and promote Wuhan consumer finance trials. We will vigorously promote innovation in commodity services and business models, and accelerate the development of e-commerce and other new consumption forms. We will endeavor to build a good consumption environment by reinforcing the personal credit investigation system, establishing a provincial-level public credit information platform, and facilitating the innovation and application of credit service products. We will promote matchmaking of agriculture with supermarkets, wholesale markets, schools and restaurants, direct supply and selling and other production-marketing models in a comprehensive way, and form a unified circulation pattern in both urban and rural areas. We will push forward the building of circulation traceability systems of meat, vegetables, grains, alcohol and drugs in order to provide a safe and trustworthy consumption environment.
Keeping the overall price level basically stable. We will advance price reform in an extensive way and improve the market pricing mechanism. We will strengthen price regulation and improve the price regulation fund system and the price subsidies linkage mechanism. We will also enhance supervision over market price behaviors, improve the price information release system and stabilize inflation expectations.
The expansion of domestic demand is the basic standpoint for us to accelerate development. We must focus on stimulating the endogenous dynamics for economic growth, give full play to the key role of investment and the basic role of consumption, and ensure the expansion of economic aggregate and upgrade of quality while maintaining steady economic growth, so that our economic and social development can have greater potential and more vitality.
4. Adjusting economic structure, transforming development pattern and facilitating transformation and upgrade through reform and innovation.
Carrying out a development strategy driven by innovation. We need to ensure the innovation drive runs through every field and every link for improving economic growth quality and efficiency and economic upgrade. Thus, we will vigorously promote the combination of science and technology with the economy and accelerate the transfer of Hubei’s advantages in science and education resources into economic advantages and practical productive forces. We will deepen reform of the management system for science and technology, speed up the establishment and completion of the development system and mechanism driven by innovation, set up a market-oriented evaluation system for scientific and technological innovations, improve the transformation system of scientific and technological achievements and that for promoting scientific and technological innovations featuring industry-university-research cooperation, promote the transformation of scientific and technological achievements of colleges, universities and research institutes, and accelerate the capitalization, industrialization and marketization of scientific and technological achievements. We will actively foster innovation-oriented enterprises, carry out business venturing cultivation projects for scientific and technological enterprises, facilitate the rapid establishment and growth of medium-sized, small and micro businesses of science and technology, and strive to increase the number of business start-ups to 2,000 before the end of this year. We will speed up the five major programs, namely, key technology cultivation, industrialization promotion, industry concentration, application demonstration and venture investment guidance, before we focus on the “100-billion-Yuan Industrial Chain” program covering the next-generation information network, software and information services. We will endeavor to increase the added value of new- and high-tech industries to more than 400 billion yuan, or an increase of 16 percent from 2013. We will reinforce the dominant position of enterprise innovation, stimulate enterprises’ vigor for independent innovation, and make enterprises the real and principal initiators, investors, researchers and developers, and users of technological innovations. We will strengthen protection of intellectual property rights, improve fiscal and taxation policies encouraging enterprise innovation, and innovate the incentive mechanism for talented people so they enjoy a bigger share of innovation returns. We will vigorously promote the combination of science and technology with finance, push forward innovation in financing modes, and expand the scale of venture investment. We will extensively carry out the construction project of an innovation-oriented pilot province, give full play to Wuhan’s leading role in driving development with innovation, pay more attention to building the Wuhan East Lake National Independent Innovative Demonstration Zone, and support new- and high-tech development zones and economic and technological development zones in various forms and at all levels in becoming demonstration sites whose development is driven by innovation.
Accelerating industrial transformation and upgrading. We will implement the “two plans and one project”, enhance cultivation of pillar industries; speed up transformation and upgrading of the textile industry and other traditional industries, and organize and implement a batch of major technological transformation projects and demonstration projects. We will support Dongfeng Motor Corporation, Wuhan Iron and Steel (Group) Corp. and other State-owned enterprises directly under the central government (CSOEs) in their transformation to bigger and stronger entities. We will study and work out a general plan for the treatment of excess production capacity, boost enterprise acquisitions and reorganizations, and shut down backward production facilities. We will expedite the industrialization of new materials and next-generation information and communication technologies such as mobile Internet, cloud computing, Internet of Things, 3D printing, and the Beidou Navigation Satellite System, and support the implementation of a batch of application demonstration projects and the building of industrial parks including the Beidou Industrial Park. We will promote the early integration of industrialization and informationization, and urge industrial manufacturing to become more intelligent, networked and digitalized. We will promote transformation and development of the construction industry, and strive to achieve a total output value of one trillion yuan in the industry. We will take the breakthrough development of the service sector as an important focal point for improving economic growth quality and efficiency. We will focus on the development of modern service industries and producer service industries, such as modern logistics, information consumption, new- and high-tech services, e-commerce, engineering design, cultural tourism and public health, so as to raise the development speed, proportion and level. Moreover, we will strive to achieve an added value of the service industry of more than one trillion yuan, or an increase of over 12 percent.
Expediting the strategy for making Hubei strong through training competent personnel. We will make innovations in the mechanism of personnel training and development, and carry out and improve major personnel policies and projects. Focusing on the cultivation of high-caliber scientific and technological personnel and high-quality management personnel and the building of high-level innovation and venture teams and teams of highly skilled practical personnel, we will make overall plans and build up teams of enterprise management personnel, rural practical personnel and social work personnel, so as to provide a stage for all personnel to display their talent and exploit their advantages to in serving economic and social development and promoting economic restructuring and development.
Adjusting the economic structure and changing the growth model is the only way forward for Hubei in maintaining sustainable economic development and realizing the goal of “creating a strategic stand for the rise of central China and taking the lead in transforming the pattern of economic development”. We must make good use of Hubei’s comparative advantages in science and education, accelerate the transformation of comparative advantages into competitive advantages and advantages for development, and make innovation drive the theme in building an upgraded Hubei economy.
5. Creating multiple supporting points, promoting coordination among different areas, and building beautiful cities and towns through reform and innovation.
Implementing the development strategy of “Two Areas and Two Belts” and “One Provincial Center and Two Sub-Provincial Centers”. We will accelerate the integrated economic development of the Greater Wuhan Metropolitan Area, and increase its economic power, innovativeness and service capability. We will accelerate the development of the Western Hubei Ecological and Cultural Tourist Area, and link the grand tourist channels as soon as possible. We will accelerate the development of Hubei Yangtze River Economic Belt, speed up the construction of Wuhan New Harbor, increase the river-to-sea transportation capacity, and build the shipping center for the middle reaches of the Yangtze River. Taking full advantage of the Yangtze River “Golden Waterway”, we will actively develop the urban agglomeration project and build China’s new growth point. We will formulate plans for the development of the Han River Ecological and Economic Belt, promote its coordinated development with the Yangtze River Economic Belt, and improve navigation facilities of the Yangtze River-Jianghan Canal-Han River high-level circle. We will encourage concentration of industries in riverside cities, projects in riverside zones, and production factors in competitive industries, and build the Yangtze River Economic Belt and the Han River Ecological and Economic Belt into a high-tech industrial corridor, industrial belt of high-end manufacturing, new-type city belt, and modern agriculture demonstration belt. We will support the pioneering development of the central cities of the “One Provincial Center and Two Sub-provincial Centers”, take full advantage of Wuhan’s leading role, and spare no efforts to revitalize “Greater Wuhan”. We will make good use of Xiangyang and Yichang’s attraction and support capabilities in the integrated development of northern and western Hubei cities, strengthen the two sub-provincial centers, and increase their radiating and driving force. We will spur economic growth, poverty alleviation and development in large parts of the Dabie, Wuling, Qinba and Mufu mountain ranges, pilot comprehensive poverty alleviation reforms in Longfeng Town of Enshi Prefecture, revitalize Chaihu Town of Zhongxiang City, and continue with the pilot program of “shaking off poverty and becoming well-off”.
加快发展县域经济。坚持工业化、城镇化、农业现代化、信息化同步发展，改革创新县域经济发展推进机制，依据功能分区、加强分类指导，促进县域经济竞相发展、特色发展。继续实施对县域发展的支持政策，重点抓好105个县域开发区和省级工业园区基础设施和服务体系建设，提高产业支撑能力。用好产业集群专项资金，推动80个重点成长性产业集群加快发展，形成一批百亿级产业集群；培育一批产值过100亿元、50亿元的大企业。支持有条件的县市做大做强，形成一批生产总值超500亿元的经济强县。大力推进经济强镇建设。Accelerating the development of the county economy. We will promote the synchronized development of industrialization, urbanization, agricultural modernization and informationization, reform and innovate driving mechanisms for county economic development, provide different guidance for different functional areas, and stimulate competition and characteristic development of the county economies. We will continue to implement policy supports for the development of county economies, give priority to infrastructure and service system building of 105 county-level development zones and provincial-level industrial zones, and increase our industrial supporting capability. We will make good use of the special fund for industrial clusters to spur development of 80 key fast-growing industrial clusters, creating groupings each with an output value of over 10 billion yuan. We will foster a group of large enterprises each with an output value of five to 10 billion yuan. We will support cities and counties with potential to grow stronger, and forge a group of strong county economies each with an output value of over 50 billion yuan. We will spare no efforts to develop strong town economies.
Making solid progress in advancing urbanization. We will adhere to new-type urbanization, which is human-based, optimized in layout, ecologically advanced, culture-preserving, intensive, intelligent, green and low carbon-oriented. We will promote human-based urbanization, and the coordinated development of big, medium- and small-sized cities, small towns, and new rural communities, so that they can reasonably define their own roles and supplement each other’s function. We will improve urbanization quality by building beautiful towns and villages where people can see green mountains and clear waters and know the feeling of nostalgia. In order to implement the national plan for new-type urbanization, we will lose no time in amending the provincial development planning for new-type urbanization, and strengthen its implementation and management. We will establish coordination and interaction mechanisms for the Greater Wuhan Metropolitan Area, and the city clusters (belts) of Yichang-Jingzhou-Jingmen and Xiangyang-Shiyan-Suizhou, and the construction of Jingzhou-Jingmen-Qianjiang-Tianmen Jianghan Canal Ecological and Cultural Tourist City Belt. We promote coordinated and characteristic development of medium- and small-sized cities and small towns. We will deepen reforms of the household registration system and the public service system, actively transforming rural migrants into urbanites. We will increase the overall carrying capacity of cities and towns by matching our comprehensive transportation network with the urbanization layout. We will make urban administration more efficient and detailed, and ensure safe operation of the cities. We will actively explore open and sustainable investment and financing mechanism for municipal construction. We will make solid efforts to push forward the “synchronization of four modernizations” demonstration programs at city and county levels, and the new-type urbanization pilot programs in designated towns, so that the rural population can be transferred conveniently on the spot or in the vicinity. We will actively advance the construction of tourist center cities, famous tourist towns, and characteristic tourist blocks. We will also work on the intelligent city pilot program.
Establishing a development pattern with multiple supporting points in competition is the key to sustainable, balanced and coordinated social-economic development. We will continuously improve the development functions in various strategic aspects, and give full play to the initiative, enthusiasm, and creativity of various strategic platforms and players.
6. Promoting ecological civilization, strengthening protection mechanism and promoting green development through reform and innovation.
Enhancing the ecological civilization system. We will implement the strictest mechanism for farmland protection, water resource management and environmental protection. We will strictly implement the procedures such as aggregate control on major pollutants, environmental impact assessment, “three simultaneously” for environmental protection facilities [note: pollution prevention and treatment facilities must be designed, constructed and put into use simultaneously with main construction projects], treatment within a prescribed limit of time, industry approval limit in certain areas and river basins, special supervision, and ex-post supervision of environmental protection. We will improve the environment treatment and ecological restoration system, and use it to protect the ecosystem. We will improve the ecological compensation mechanism, and gradually realize ecological compensation in drinking water conservation areas, natural reserves, key ecological function areas, mineral resources development areas, and river basin water environment protection areas. We will strengthen environmental monitoring and strictly implement the environmental protection accountability tracing system and the environmental damage compensation system. We will continue pilot schemes for compulsory environmental liability insurance.
Intensifying ecological and environmental protection. We will strictly implement major functional area planning, enforce differentiated environmental entry rules and environmental management policies, forbid development projects not in compliance with regional environmental policies, and tighten entry for environmentally sensitive projects such as heavy metals. We will lose no time in compiling the Ecological Construction Planning Outline of Hubei Province, carry out air and water pollution prevention and treatment, and rural comprehensive environment improvement, and make steady progress in the ecological redline pilot program and national ecological civilization pilot program. Work will be stepped up on the Wuhan Garden Expo. We will advance key ecological projects such as turning reclaimed farmland into forests, natural forest protection, and the Yangtze River shelter forest. We will strengthen ecological protection and water pollution prevention and treatment in the Three Gorges Reservoir Region, Danjiangkou Reservoir Region, and the middle and lower reaches of the Han River. We will strengthen ecological protection and restoration of the main mountain chains, and accelerate recovery of ecologically vulnerable areas. We will launch the Blue Sky Project to create ecologically livable city environment. We should pay close attention to city smog, increase our air pollution prevention and treatment capability, tighten control and regulation of major sources of air pollution, increase monitoring on major polluters and ensure discharge limits are observed. We will launch the Clean Water Project to create an ecological system where humans and water co-exist in harmony. We will strengthen regional comprehensive treatment in key river basins include the three rivers [note: Yangtze, Han and Qingjiang), five lakes [note: Liangzihu, Honghu, East Lake, Longganhu and Wanghu] and six reservoirs (note: Three Gorges, Danjiangkou, Zhanghe, Huanglong, Lushui and Fuqiaohe). We will advance the water ecological civilization city pilot programs in Xianning and Ezhou. We will enhance protection for core water sources of the middle section of the South-to-North Water Diversion Project, and make sure clean water will be delivered to the north. We will launch the Clean Earth Project, and create a beautiful and clean rural environment. We will push forward rural comprehensive environment improvement, and deepen the campaign of building ecological townships and villages. We will advance the pilot project of rural-urban unified treatment of rural household garbage, and launch the polluted earth ecological restoration pilot project.
Pushing ahead energy conservation and emission reduction. We will improve objective management of energy conservation and emission reduction, vigorously push forward conservation and recycling of energy and resources, and focus on reducing energy consumption in such fields as industry, transportation, construction and public institutions. We will make serious efforts to reduce emission of main pollutants, and undertake projects including sewage treatment plants and supporting pipe networks, treatment of pollution resulted from scale poultry farming, and flue gas desulfurization and de-nitrification. We exert more efforts into developing new energies and renewable energies, and promote high-tech and energy-efficient products. We will vigorously develop circular economy and the low-carbon industry, continue to carry out the pilot program of national low-carbon province, and accelerate the development of eco-industrial zones and renewable resource bases. We will encourage the research, development and application of low-carbon technologies, and develop the carbon market. We will advance the transition of resource-depleted cities such as Huangshi, promote publicity and education on eco-civilization, and encourage green lifestyle.
Green mountains and clear waters are invaluable wealth. We must not pursue temporary economic growth and the richness of contemporary people at the expense of environmental deterioration. We must base development of our province on environmental protection, and increase environmental protection and treatment efforts. We shall fulfill the historical responsibility of our generation, conserve the environment, and let green mountains, clear waters and the blue sky be there for our children.
7. Boosting social undertakings and increasing people’s welfare and social justice through reform and innovation.
Speeding up development of social undertakings. We will deepen comprehensive educational reform, stick to the focus of cultivating morality and integrity, and improve education quality and equality. We will take the improvement of rural education as our priority, optimize faculty allocation and the layout of primary and middle schools, expand the coverage of quality education resources through informationization, and promote sharing and rational allocation of quality educational resources between urban and rural areas. We will also improve the faculty supplement system for rural compulsory education schools, and the system for poor student support. We will actively improve secondary education, accelerate the development of modern vocational education system, and advance collectivized vocational school development. We will reform the methods of talent cultivation for higher education, and improve its quality. We will improve pre-school education, special education, and carry forward education reform and development. We will also encourage privately run schools, and reform the admission system. We will vigorously boost the great development and prosperity of culture, and increase Hubei’s cultural soft power. We will formulate and improve policies to facilitate breakthrough development in the cultural industry, and accelerate the shift in government’s role from running the cultural industry to overall supervision. We will push forward the structural reform to turn State-owned for-profit cultural institutions into enterprises, support cultural enterprises in trans-regional, trans-industrial and trans-ownership mergers and acquisitions, and promote intensified, professional and scale operation of the cultural industry. We will lower market access barriers, and encourage the development of non-public cultural enterprises. At the same time, we will accelerate the construction of public cultural infrastructures and major cultural projects, expand the reach of public cultural resources and service system to the grassroots level, build a public cultural service system that features equality, standardization and diversification, and promote the socialized development of the public cultural industries. We will host the Second Chinese Opera Festival, carry out cultural projects that benefit the people, and help the cultural products and services to match people’s cultural demands. We will continue to deepen the medical care system, promote comprehensive reform of medical security, medical service, public health, drug supply and the supervision system, and provide safe, efficient, convenient and cheap medical services. We will promote the “Healthy Hubei” action plan in depth, enhance prevention and cure of serious diseases such as AIDS and schistosomiasis, and continuously improve our public health capacity. We will implement the national policy to allow couples to have two children if one of the parents is an only child, adopt comprehensive measures to tackle the unbalanced sex ratio at birth, and guarantee balanced population growth in the long run. We will further reform food and drug administration system, and build an administration system to monitor the entire production processes. We will build more public fitness facilities, launch province-wide fitness activities, and improve public physical fitness levels.
Strengthening social security. We will focus on employment as the bedrock of the people’s livelihood, increase jobs created by government-funded projects and major projects, and develop industries and companies that can effectively create new jobs. We will give priority to enlarging the employment of university graduates, reemploying workers laid-off due to industrial overcapacity, and creating jobs for rural workers, and let economic development and employment expansion support each other. We will carry out the all-round entrepreneurship project, improve services for those who start businesses, and create an atmosphere where entrepreneurship is encouraged among workers, stimulated by the government and supported by society. We will improve the social security system, further expand the coverage, increase fairness, sustainability and adaptability to the migrating population, and convert coverage from “total system” to “total population”. We will integrate the urban and rural residents basic medical insurance systems, reform medical insurance payment method and improve the universal medical insurance system. We will improve the system of urban and rural basic living allowances and rural five guarantees, and enhance system construction and implementation of the social relief policies. We will establish and improve the system to ensure it considers the needs of various groups, and determines and adjusts their social security benefits. In order to proactively tackle the challenge of aging population, we will accelerate the establishment of the social old-age service system and the old-age service industry. We will improve the care service system for left-behind children, women and the elderly, strengthen protection for the rights and interests of the disabled, and improve the classification security system for children in destitution. We will launch the campaign of “the year of social relief management innovation”, and vigorously develop undertakings of social welfare and charity. We will speed up combination of the government housing security with the commercial housing market, and the housing supply system satisfying various levels of housing demands. We will implement the national macro-control policies, increase the regular commercial housing supply, and maintain a stable housing price level. We will also improve the mechanism of housing fund withdrawal, usage and monitoring.
Innovating social governance. We will stick to systematical, comprehensive, and law-based governance, and governance that addresses problems at source. We will continuously innovate and improve social governance. We will promote informationized management of social services, advance comprehensive service facilities in rural and urban communities, and improve the reticulation service management system covering all rural and urban areas. We will further expand grassroots democracy, and organize the election of village committees and neighborhood committees. We will actively promote the healthy and orderly development of social organizations, and stimulate their vitality. We will enhance basic grassroots works of letters and calls, reform letters and calls system, promote “sunlight letters and calls”, and put into practice the system of online petition. We will establish an open and orderly channel for filing complaints, settling disputes and guaranteeing rights and interests, so that the people’s complaints can be heard, their disputes can be settled, and their rights and interests can be protected. In order to comprehensively enhance safe production, and prevent major accidents, we intend to foster production safety consciousness, and establish a risk prevention and control system, especially identifying and tackling latent threats. We will establish and improve the system, in which all parties involved in investigation, design, construction and overlooking are responsible for the project. We will also improve the system for disaster prevention, alleviation and rescue. We will regulate the Internet according to law, and improve the regulatory system, in order to protect information safety. We will deepen the campaign of “Safe Hubei”, innovate the integrated social security system, vigilantly prevent and clamp down on crimes and illegal activities according to law, and make sure society can live in peace and order.
Doing practical work for the people. The provincial government will continue to solve problems concerning the people’s benefits. We will create 700,000 urban jobs, add two billion yuan in small loans, and support 40,000 people in entrepreneurship, creating 150,000 jobs in the process. We will start the construction of 400,000 affordable houses and renovate shanty houses. We will also complete projects to house 52,700 households of farmers living in dilapidated conditions and fishermen now living in their boats. We will continue to issue social security cards to cover 28 million people, and realize online clearance for medical treatment in places other than one’s own hometown within the province. We will provide free pre-pregnancy checks for 260,000 rural couples, and free medical checks for cervical cancer and breast cancer for 500,000 rural married women in 29 poor counties. We will provide clean drinking water for three million rural residents, build rural roads with a total length of 12,000 kilometers, renovate 210 dilapidated rural road bridges, and carry out safety projects for 10,000-kilometer of perilous roads. We will build or rebuild 3,000 comprehensive service stations in villages, and carry out poverty alleviation development in 809 poverty-stricken villages. We will carry out the “Green Hubei” campaign, promoting forests on a total area of two million mu, and finish forestation in 200 green model villages. We will recruit 8,000 teachers for rural compulsory education schools, build, rebuild or expand canteens for 500 rural boarding schools for compulsory education, and solve the drinking and bathing problems for 500 boarding schools. We will build 800 service centers for elderly care in the form of home-based care and mutual assistance among the elderly. We will build, rebuild, or expand 500 public service stations in urban and rural communities, finance renovation of dilapidated houses for 150 rural welfare centers, build 20 public libraries and cultural centers in counties, construct intelligent broadcast network for 5,370 administrative villages, and build 1,200 rural fitness projects. We will hand out subsidies for 200,000 impoverished disabled people, carry out the “sunlight home” care plan for 20,000 disabled people, hand out aid equipment for 10,000 disabled people for free, provide rescue and rehabilitation aid for 5,000 disabled children aged up to six in poor families, and offer legal aid to poor residents and migrant workers.
It is our starting point and objective to improve social justice and the people’s welfare. We will put more emphasis on the development of social undertakings, work harder to improve the social security system, promote equality between rural and urban social services, continuously safeguard and improve people’s livelihood, and make sure the fruits of reform and development can bring more benefits to the people of our province in a fairer way.
8. Transforming government functions, improving governance and building a clean government through reform and innovation.
Vigorously advancing the transition of government functions. We will take bolder action to streamline administration and delegate power to lower levels. We will cancel administrative approval for all economic activities that can be adjusted effectively by the market system, transfer government affairs to social organizations capable of undertaking them, entrust all economic and social affairs to cities and counties as long as it is more convenient to manage them at lower levels. We will formulate and publish a unified list of the whole province’s administrative review and approval items. We will address the contradiction between prerequisite items, promote online, joint and concentrated review and approval, and increase supervision on the whole review and approval process. We will explore new ways of administration, improve formulation and implementation of development strategies, planning, policies and standards; we will improve market regulation, tackle problems in the intermediary services; we will strengthen the government’s ability to provide public services, and speed up its transition to one oriented towards public services, market regulation, social management and environmental protection; We will advance government outsourcing, and introduce competition in the governments’ purchase of transactional management services. Services must be purchased from society with formal contracts and commission. We will define functions, authorities and responsibilities of governments at various levels in a scientific way,, establish a system to match the governments’ financial powers with their responsibilities, actively pilot reforms such as counties directly under the provincial government, and speed up the reform of public institutions. We will foster a correct outlook on political achievements, increase the weight of resource utilization, environment quality, ecological benefits, employment and startup rates, scientific and technological innovation, production safety and debt risk in government performance assessment, and deal with problems such as vanity projects and official inaction, slow response and carelessness.
Vigorously improving governance. We will comprehensively implement the strategy to govern Hubei according to law, and push forward its integrated development based on law. We will accept the supervision of the provincial people’s congress, and its standing committee, the democratic supervision of the provincial committee of CPPCC, and the supervision of the people and the public opinion. We will be serious about the proposals of the deputies of the provincial people’s congress and members of the provincial committee of CPPCC. We will get down to drafting local laws and government regulations to clears up areas that do not conform to existing national laws. We will build a power system capable of scientific decision-making and resolute execution, and under strict supervision. We will enhance rules for administrative decision-making, and standardize the process of decision-making. We will continue to build new-type think tanks, and tracing, feedback and accountability system to follow the process of important decision-makings. We will improve the system of administrative law enforcement, and solve the problem of overlapping authority and responsibilities, and duplicated law enforcement. In key areas such as food and drug, production safety, environmental protection, and labor security, we will increase grass-roots law enforcement power, standardize law enforcement discretion, and exercise supervision on administrative law enforcement. Education concerning the law will be promoted in order to enhance people’s awareness. We will also encourage e-government and sharing of information between government organs. In a bid to control government size, we will make sure the number of employees relying on government expenditure will decline. We will further promote transparent administration, establish the power list system for Hubei’s various government departments, improve the disclosure system for administrative affairs and affairs in various fields, and ensure openness in decision-making, management, services and results.
Vigorously promoting clean government. We will implement the eight-point anti-bureaucracy guidelines issued by the CPC Central Committee, the six-point opinion promulgated by the Hubei Provincial Party Committee, and improve the work style of government officials. We will deepen the Party’s “mass line” education campaign, reinforce the implementation of rectification, improve the Party’s system to keep close contact with the masses, and make sure the “mass line” education campaign will bring about governments’ actions and practical work to benefit the people, and resolution of issues directly linked with people’s concerns and benefits. We will carry out a new round of “thirty thousand” campaigns based on “sending ten thousand cadres to ten thousand villages to benefit villagers”. We will continue to reduce meetings and publishing of documents, and improve their styles. We will strictly execute the “Regulation on Practicing Frugality and Rejecting Extravagance for Party and Government Organs”, as well as Hubei’s implementation measures. We will tighten the process of budget, approval and audit, and curb the three typical abuses of public expenses. In order to improve team-building capabilities of civil servants, we will deepen the campaign of “striving to be a good cadre”, aiming to increase civil servants’ aspirations to work to the satisfaction of the people. In order to enhance clean governance and implement regulations on honesty and self-discipline, we will reinforce the defense line of ethics to root out corruption. We will strengthen system construction and innovation, tighten supervision, and build the defense line of the system to prevent official corruption. There will be severe punishments to deter officials from engaging in corrupt activities. We will win the people’s trust with diligence, honesty and practical work on their behalf.
While improving governance, we should also adhere to the Party’s leadership and satisfy the people, which is the core of our work. We will speed up the building of a law-based and service-oriented government, continuously increase the executive power of and public trust in the government, and bring the exercise of power into the open and under the scrutiny of the people. We must never ever fail the people.
Fellow deputies, it is our urgent task to deepen reform and transform our development mode. Let us gather together around the Party Central Committee led by General Secretary Xi Jinping, hold high our banners, emancipate our minds, forge ahead with determination, overcome difficulties, and write a new chapter of reform, opening up and economic transformation! Let us work hard to create a strategic stand for the rise of central China and take the lead in transforming the pattern of economic development! Let us accelerate the building of a prosperous, innovative, law-ruled, civilized and happy Hubei! And let us break new ground in building a moderately prosperous society in all respects!
1. Shiyan-Baihe Expressway: an expressway from Shiyan of Hubei Province to Baihe of Shaanxi Province.
2. “Unitary multi-level” strategic system: a strategic system that covers all parts of Hubei Province, supported by various carriers and implemented through various platforms. “Unitary” refers to the mission of “creating a strategic stand for the rise of central China and taking the lead in transforming the pattern of economic development”; and “multi-level” refers to the general strategy of “Two Areas and Two Belts”, the industrial development strategy of “Four Bases and One Hub” (advanced manufacturing base, high-tech industrial base, quality agricultural processing base, modern logistics base and integrated transportation hub), the strategy of “One Provincial Center and Two Sub-Provincial Centers”, the building of a series of important carriers such as Wuhan East Lake National Independent Innovative Demonstration Zone, the Pilot Project of Economic and Social Development in Dabie Mountain Old Revolutionary Base Area and the Pilot Project of Economic and Social Development in Wuling Mountain Ethnic Minority Area, and the coverage of development strategies of all cities and prefectures concerning the overall development of Hubei into the provincial strategic system.
3. “Two Areas and Two Belts”: the Great Wuhan Metropolitan Area, the Western Hubei Ecological and Cultural Tourist Area, the Yangtze River Economic Belt, and the Han River Ecological and Economic Belt.
4. “Red and Green Pilot Zones”: the Pilot Project of Economic and Social Development in Dabie Mountain Old Revolutionary Base Area and the Pilot Project of Economic and Social Development in Wuling Mountain Ethnic Minority Area.
5. “Three Focuses and One Promotion”: focusing on the style of work, the environment of development, and the implementation of policies to facilitate leapfrog development.
6. “Four Erroneous Tendencies”: bureaucracy, formalism, hedonism and extravagance.
7. “Three Shortened, One Simplified and One Economized”: having short meetings, writing short reports, delivering short speeches, simplifying daily affairs, and being diligent and thrifty.
8. Creating a strategic stand for the rise of central China and taking the lead in transforming the pattern of economic development: a new mission assigned by General Secretary Xi Jinping to Hubei.
9. “Five great opportunities for Hubei’s development”: It is Hubei’s turn to make its move on the chessboard of reform and opening up; economic structure transformation highlights Hubei; the State attaches great importance to Hubei in its major development layout; the “unitary multi-level” strategic system leads Hubei’s development; and the great vitality of economic growth inspires Hubei.
10. The “Four Batches” Project in agricultural processing industries: fostering a batch of leading companies in the industry of agricultural products processing, a batch of famous brands with national influence, a batch of agricultural processing parks with a sales revenue of over five billion yuan, and a batch of counties (cities) with a sales revenue of more than 10 billion yuan from agricultural products processing.
11. Pilot and demonstration sites in the building of a new countryside at eight different levels: the Xianhong Pilot Zone, the Ezhou Pilot Zone of urban-rural integration, the pilot counties of shaking off poverty and becoming well-off, 88 demonstration townships in the building of a new countryside, the Zhushan-Zhuxi-Fangxian Pilot Zone of urban-rural integration, the Pilot Project of Economic and Social Development in Wuling Mountain Ethnic Minority Area, the Pilot Project of Economic and Social Development in Dabie Mountain Old Revolutionary Base Area and China’s agricultural valley Jingmen.
12. Tri-networks integration: the integration of telecommunications networks, cable TV networks and the Internet.
13. “Two plans and one project”: the “Pillar Industry Doubling Plan”, the “100-billion-yuan Industry Promotion Plan” and the “Strategic Emerging Industry Cultivation Project”.
14. Synchronization of four modernizations: synchronized development of industrialization, urbanization, agricultural modernization and informationization.
15. “Healthy Hubei” action plan: an overall concept that covers improving the people’s health across the province, province-wide fitness activities, food safety campaign, action plan to guarantee basic medical care services, promotion of health services, disease prevention and control campaign, emergency medical aid and public health emergency action, maternal and child health action, urban and rural hygiene action, and the action to speed up the development of the health industry.